Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Turning My Can'ts Into I Can's!

So I've had a lot going on in the last month...end of school year demands, getting sick, and then a break up which really sucked...I have felt a little discouraged, very tired, and quite burnt out.

Nearly a week ago though I came up with an idea that while pursueing, is quite scary. I want to do a 5K marathon. I got the idea and then I happened to find the marathon which really solidified things for me. This marathon raises money for the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation, which is really close to my heart. I lost my grandfather to heart issues and I myself have been dealing with high blood pressure since I was 18. I've decided that I am going to run, and I'm going to do it in memory of my grandfather...

So I started training...did my first one the other day...wasn't as hard as I expected but also not easy. I went into the gym with a plan of how to begin running, only to find out that plan was not doable for me. I'm not a runner and I wouldn't even consider myself athletic really. I'm a little lazy to consider myelf an athlete...Found out quickly that I had to do what was right for me and what my body could do. From a 30 minute workout, i did 10 minutes of running at 3.5 and 20 minutes of speed walking at 3.0 or 3.2. I did intervals to keep my body going.

I do have worries...I worry that I'll get hurt, that my ankles can't do it (I have extremely bad ankles, and have quite a bit of pain in the one already) but I am determined to do this. I need to do this for myself to proove to myself that I can do something that I never thought I could before. I need to turn my can't's into I can's....I will do this, at my own pace and my own speed, but this is doable!

No comments:

Post a Comment